Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Fibro Family: CelticMartiGirl

Marti, is a fibrolita herself! We met on Twitter when I saw a post about fibro from her and checked out her profile. We had so much in common I just had to add her to my watch list. She is super sweet and has been battling fibro for years now.

You may have noticed that it has been a couple of weeks since the last Fibro Family post. I have decided to start doing them once a month now, so that I am not bombarding you with posts.

1. What is your age? 25

2. What is your gender? Female

3. Where are you from? I currently live in northeast Mississippi, but was born in Utica, NY & have lived in New York, Tennessee, Alabama, & Mississippi.


4. Do you have a blog? I don't currently blog, no.


5. When were you diagnosed? I was diagnosed 10 years ago, & doctor traced symptoms back to 14 years ago.


6. How has your family and friends reacted? It took some adjustments as a teenager, but my family & most friends are very understanding.


7. What is the hardest thing about fibro for you? The fibro fog. I used to have an extensive vocabulary but on very "foggy" days, I can barely form simple sentences.


8. What are some of your coping tips? Be positive. I know it sounds lame or hokie, but I can attest to a positive attitude's correlation to less severe pain & anguish. I try to spend even bad days being thankful that I'm alive, don't need a wheelchair, have great friends, can wipe my own bottom, etc. You can always find *something* to be thankful for.


9. What is the one thing you regret having to give up from fibro? outdoor recreation. My eyes & skin are very sensitive. Also trail hiking & futbol. I am thankful that I can still occasionally go camping-with an air mattress, of course!


10. What is something good you've gained from fibro? A very compassionate attitude toward others & an ability to find happiness in (almost) all things.


11. What changes have you made to make your day to day easier? I usually sleep 10hours even though it's almost half the day, it really helps. I minimize walking & bending. I wear supportive shoes, even inside. Pace myself & take breaks often.


12. What advice do you have for the newly diagnosed? Don't despair! We all know fibro isn't fatal & what doesn't kill you makes you a stronger, more beautiful person.


13. Anything else you want to add? There is constantly research being done & published-keep yourself informed! Don't count on your doctor to inform you of new research. Have the people you live with read about living with someone with fibro. They can find articles from places like the NFA (National Fibromyalgia Association). Talk to people. Don't be afraid of or ashamed of having fibro. Explain to your friends/classmates/coworkers what is going on with you. Print information if you don't feel comfortable talking about it or don't feel eloquent enough. Most importantly: never give up hope. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment